The amazing thing about Greg Gianforte is that the man just keeps managing to sink lower in his desperate bid to buy the governor’s office in the state of Montana. Last night, Attorney General Tim Fox made public what has been rumored since the beginning of the campaign: that Gianforte used Tim Fox’s cancer diagnosis and recovery as a weapon in their primary.
From Tim Fox last night:
Fox also accused Gianforte of trying to dissuade Fox’s supporters by telling them that Fox has cancer and might get sick while in the governor’s office.
“That’s appalling and it’s certainly not Montana,” Fox said. “Montanans know better, congressman.”
And in what can only be described as serendipitous timing, the Montana Standard ran an op-ed this morning from a Montana doctor confirming the charge and adding the twist that Gianforte’s wife delivered the attack to another Tim Fox supporter.
From the op-ed by Doctor R.D. Marks:
A few weeks later, I got a call … not from the congressman but from his wife, Susan, regarding my response to his request for me supporting him. I reiterated my prior comments and reassured her that I was not interested in supporting her husband. At the time, she asked, “Well, what about Tim’s health?”
I was taken back. I knew, and Tim has been open about the fact that he is a cancer survivor, so it’s not a big secret; but, to have it thrown up as an issue to change my mind about who I was going to support seemed as a very “Eastern Politics” approach and certainly not the Montana way. I said that in so many words and that my support for Tim Fox would continue.
If this story gains the traction it deserves, one can already predict the response. Gianforte will deny it, and his campaign will call Attorney General Fox and Dr. Marks liars because that is what Gianforte does when he is confronted with his own indefensible behavior.
Over and over again, Gianforte lies to defend his shameful behavior.
- When the Gianforte campaign was called out for trying to bully Dr. Al Olszweski out of the gubernatorial race, they lied about it.
- When Gianforte was called about by Republicans for promising budget-busting tax cuts, they called those Republicans liars.
- When Gianforte was caught lying about his assets in a blind trust, his Congressional staff and campaign called people reporting the truth dishonest.
- When Gianforte blocked public access near Bozeman, he called the reporters who covered the story and the Bullock campaign dishonest.
- When Gianforte was called out in 2016 for having supported a sales tax, he lied about it, even though there was audio and written testimony of him calling a sales “an ideal solution.”
- When Gianforte assaulted Ben Jacobs, he lied about it, and said that Jacobs had initiated the conflict.
- When Gianforte was interviewed by law enforcement, he lied again.
I suppose that it’s possible that everyone around Greg Gianforte– lifelong Montana Republicans, reporters, bloggers, law enforcement officers, and government officials doing their job—lies, but isn’t more likely that the person in the center of these lies is the one telling them?
The man simply cannot be trusted to tell the truth, and the latest news about his campaign’s despicable attacks against Attorney General Tim Fox demonstrate that he can’t even be trusted to be a decent human being.
I don’t agree with Tim Fox on much, but he used his cancer diagnosis and recovery to help educate other Montanans about keeping themselves healthy. Greg Gianforte used it to demonstrate the moral rot and sickness at his core.
Even with his lies, Greg Gianforte keeps telling us exactly who he is. Let’s listen to him.