Once again, Senator Daines is all aflutter because a woman spoke her mind in the halls of Congress—and this time he couldn’t use the rules to silence her.
Eager to prove his place at Trump’s chief lapdog in Montana, Daines took to Twitter today to decry the “shameful” spectacle of Speaker Nancy Pelosi giving President Trump’s State of the Union speech the edit it so desperately needed last night.
— Steve Daines (@SteveDaines) February 5, 2020
It made me think about some of the things Daines has not found shameful during his tenure in office:
- A president hiring and retaining a white supremacist as a chief advisor in the Oval Office and letting him write a policy that led to children being separated from their families and sexually assaulted in concentration camps.
- A candidate for President who boasted about sexually assaulting women and who has been accused of sexual misconduct by at least twenty-five women.
- A presidential candidate who paid off the porn star he slept with shortly after his wife gave birth to their child before repeated lying to the American public about it.
- A president who has been so cozy with authoritarians that his former Chief of Staff, a retired Marine general, has accused Trump of doing their bidding.
- A president who spent years promoting a racist birther myth about President Obama.
- A president who had to settle a $25 million lawsuit for defrauding students at his fake university.
- A presidential candidate who mocked Vietnam POW John McCain’s military service and insulted Gold Star families.
- A President who dismissed the traumatic brain injuries of American soldiers serving in Iraq as “headaches.”
- A president who has told 16,000+ lies while in office.
And it’s not just the President. Daines has failed to call a Senator and Congressman so afraid of their constituents that they won’t have town halls with them, a Congressman who assaulted a reporter and then lied about it, or a Senator who has abandoned representing his state for craven support of the President “shameful.”
Hell, he didn’t even have the moral fortitude to challenge a state legislator who called for killing political opponents.
None of that conduct—hardly an exhaustive list, by the way—elicited as much as whisper of complaint from Senator Daines, but Speaker Pelosi, who seems to live rent-free in the head of every Republican in the country, so troubled Daines that he had to run to social media to decry her act of civil disobedience.
There is shameful behavior right now in Washington, but it’s not coming from Speaker Pelosi. Those who should be ashamed are the members of the Republican Party who have abandoned their traditional respect for rule of law and steady governance to abase themselves to an irrational, immoral charlatan who has made a mockery of their claims to stand for a foreign policy of American strength and values rooted in the Judeo-Christian tradition.
Before Senator Daines calls anyone else “shameful” again, he’d do well to read Matthew again and consider the shame he’s brought on himself, his office, and his state.
3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.
One day, perhaps in an election, certainly in history, there will be a reckoning for politicians like Senator Daines. And history will cover him in the shame he so richly deserves.