But he does, apparently, have time to give interviews to extremist, militia advocacy outlets that masquerade as the news, even if they spread conspiracy theories and foment violence against the government.
On October 28, Northwest Liberty News posted an interview between Daines and NWL founder James White. In the brief interview, Daines expresses his admiration for the Founding Fathers before noting that the U.S. was founded under God right before praising adulterer Donald Trump, Jr.
There’s nothing notable about the interview aside from Daines’s struggle to act like a human person, but it’s hard to understand why Daines would speak with such an outlet or why it was given press credentials. Northwest Liberty news is an extremist outlet, one that defends the militia movement, writes insane screeds claiming that patriots needed to prepare themselves to fight back against the tyrannical Obama administration, and has published racist attacks on Montana’s Indian peoples.
The post immediately before the Daines interview perhaps best exposes the sensibilities of the outlet. Of the mail bombs sent to former American Presidents and Democratic leaders, they write:
- “Friends, consider the source concerning each and every one of these said criminals that allegedly had a package sent to their locations. Every one of them is guilty of dismantling our republican form of government in an attempt to destroy the America that we all know (John 10:10), and that by any means necessary (Matthew 7:16; 2 Corinthians 11:14-15).”
- “Look at the international criminal George Soros and the organizations that he is funding, which runs in clear contrast to our form of government.”
- “And don’t forget the Clintons and their crimes towards “We the people,” which include drug dealing, treason (Russia and China), murder, etc.”
- “Shortly after, it will be found to be a “false flag,” or a “hoax!” Then, it will fade to black only to be forgotten until they again need to remind the people in this country that they are the victims of those who tell the truth and expose them for who they are and for what it is that they are responsible (Luke 12:2).”
- “What we are seeing today is nothing short of the full force of totalitarianism.”
And that’s mostly what Northwest Liberty News is. Anti-government conspiracy theories interspersed with mangled Bible verses and amateurish video.
Why would Senator Daines agree to an interview with them? And who in the Rosendale campaign gave a press credential to an outlet like that? I know that talking about Matt Rosendale’s connection to anti-government militia types isn’t something the Montana media care about, but when the legitimate press was not allowed to ask questions of the candidates at the events, it seems troubling that the Militia news was.