One of the more interesting tidbits from today’s initial filing day was that Republican Representative David Howard of Park City filed for SD-29, a seat that presumably will be defended by Republican Jason Priest of Red Lodge. Priest was first elected in 2010, and has demonstrated a commitment to dark money campaigns, homophobic slurs, and pulling Jeff Essman’s strings.
But Howard might actually be worse. Howard is best known in the state for pushing LR-121, a unnecessary, cruel law designed to crack down on Montana’s practically non-existent illegal immigration problem.
During his term in the Legislature, Howard has been a reliably insane voice for the Republican Party, including voting for such sensible positions as allowing students to bring guns to schools, nullifying federal law, outlawing abortion and health education, continuing to criminalize sexual behavior he disagrees with, and budgets that punish the poor in truly Christ-like fashion.
He’s also an old-fashioned bigot and conspiracy theorist, whose actions include:
- suggesting a Second Civil War if President Obama was re-elected;
- calling for President Obama to have been killed like Trayvon Martin was;
- expressing racist attitudes about Montana’s Indian people;
- making racist slurs against African Americans;
- endorsing hate speech;
- repeatedly putting his vile homophobia on display;
- putting the crack in crack pot testifying against marijuana in the Montana Legislature (stay with him until the end—it’s comedy gold);
At the moment, Howard and Joanne G. Blyton are two declared candidates for SD 29, but’s it’s rumored in Republican circles that the primary will be a three-way race. Surely, the people of SD 29 can do better.