In moments when I feel like the schism between the far right and reality is not as pronounced as I fear, I only need to visit conservative blogs and their comments to have my cynicism and pessimism restored.
A quick tour of sites like Red State, Michelle Malkin, and Free Republic reveals these “arguments,” presented less than 24 hours after the announcement of the death of the person responsible for the 9/11 attacks and many more crimes against the world:
- Never mind the fact that intel showed they knew where he was since last November.
It must have been quite a struggle for Urkel to have his mind made up for him.
- Every anti military loon voted for this cut the military President, and now all of the peace now, cut and run lefties are all celebrating a military success and rushing to give their anti military candidate credit for sitting behind a desk.
- They are treating his body in Islamic tradition!
WHEN OH WHEN WILL WE GET A GOVERNMENT THAT WILL HATE THE FREAKING ENEMY AND TRY TO HURT THEM!?!?!
Oh, when our government is no longer allied with the enemy, I guess
- You do have a point. OR, Osama maybe died long ago and we now have confirmed the fact and decided to use it politically. That sounds more like this Thug-In-Chief’s tactics.
- This monster was a mass-murderer of almost 3000 innocent civilians. Instead of burial at sea, we should have marinated him in pig fat and strung his carcass up on a pole at the WTC site.But, I guess we don’t want to offend anyone, now do we…
- OBL has not been seen for years and yet all of a sudden were are supposed to believe he carelessly exposed himself in a high profile mansion/compound and then is hastily buried at sea?
- Is there any doubt why he released his birth certificate when he did. Now no will be able to question it.
Unfortunately, that kind of response isn’t just anonymous commenters online, but comes from Montanans as well. Jennifer Olson, the other person in her father’s Montana Shrugged Tea Party Patriots, had to attack the President as well:
Is it too much to ask that Americans all take this moment to congratulate our military and intelligence services for their efforts and thank them for the risks they’ve taken? To reflect seriously about what this means for the future of the “war on terror”? Wouldn’t those be the actions of a patriot?
Now, of course, a few isolated comments online can perhaps be taken with a grain of salt, but it’s important to remember that the Republican Party has been hijacked by this kind of extremist, the kind who will not believe that Osama bin Laden has been killed until they see the long-form death certificate. The majority of Republicans may not hold these views, but when 45% of Republicans believe that Obama was not born in the United States, the GOP has become a party dominated by a conspiracy theorists and ideologues.