Entertaining photo, right? It’s Greg Gianforte at the Mother’s Day 5k run in Bozeman. The day before he was in Billings at the Montana Women’s Run. That popular event is held each year “to promote health and fitness among women.”
This is where the chutzpah comes in, considering Gianforte’s stand on women’s health issues:
- He wants to eliminate funding for Planned Parenthood, ending reproductive health care, education, cancer screenings and other services for women, who are mostly middle and low income. Of course, with little or no access to birth control, you can expect more unplanned pregnancies…
- Which will lead to more abortions, although that option wouldn’t be available, either, because rabidly anti-choice Gianforte would put an end to that.
- He supports the Republican’s American Health Care Act, including the rollback of Medicaid coverage, a move that will disproportionately harm women and children, especially new mothers. The AHCA plan could strip maternity care from the list of essential services that insurance policies must currently cover, and it could also include sexual assault and domestic violence as “pre-existing conditions.”
- Covered mammograms and Pap smears could be in jeopardy, too, if Obamacare is repealed since they were part of the preventive health coverage mandate.
- If you’re in the LGBTQ community, Gianforte has even less concern for you.
- And of course, women are certainly in the pool of the 24 million Americans who could lose insurance over the next decade if the AHCA passes Congress and is signed into law.
Gianforte has also been mum on other women’s issues like equal pay, the Equal Rights Amendment (still not ratified) or paid parental leave, but we can make an educated guess as to where he stands.
Is a vote for Gianforte a vote against women’s rights? The facts speak for themselves.