It’s time for the presumptive Republican nominee for President to move to the important question of who might be his running mate.
Where a typical candidate for President seeks to balance her appeal, whether it’s geographic, ideological, or demographic, Trump is so enamored with Trump that he’s only going to want to maximize the Trumpiness of his running mate. And who in American politics today is more Trumpy than Ryan Zinke?
While some will talk about the need for a woman to balance his misogynist attitudes or a Latino to obviate his horrific racism and xenophobia, Donald Trump should give serious thought to selecting a running mate who reflects his unmatched self-regard and absolutely willingness to put self-promotion ahead of the truth.
Is there any better candidate for Trump than a first term member of the House who seemed to seriously believe he was a legitimate candidate to become Speaker of the House? Any better partner than a man whose ego is already legend in the hardly humble halls of the Montana Senate and US House of Representatives? Any better choice than someone so venal that he jumped on the Trump bandwagon the moment it gained real momentum? Any better choice than a man who, like Trump, seems capable of believing that two contradictory statements can both be true at the same time and whose ability to flip flop on every political issue is legendary?
It’s time, Donald. Announce Trump-Zinke at your (hopefully) quiet speech in Billings.
Let’s just take a brief look at this potential political love match.
- Donald Trump says horrific, racist things about Mexicans and wants to build a wall between Mexico and the United States; Ryan Zinke called for an actual invasion of Mexico.
- Donald Trump has said that he believes the United States should torture suspected terrorists; Ryan Zinke bragged about actually doing it.
- Donald Trump has, at various times, claimed to be against reproductive rights and for them; Ryan Zinkehas done the same and called both pro-choice and anti-choice activists liars to advance his political career.
- Donald Trump lied about his political campaign raising money for wounded veterans; Ryan Zinke created a SuperPAC that he said would help veterans, but paid himself instead.
- Donald Trump has public support from white supremacist groups and leaders; Ryan Zinke invites them to meet with him in Congress.
- Donald Trump went from calling for sensible gun regulation to advocate transforming America into a Hollywood version of the Wild West; Zinke went from calling for restrictions on guns to giving our commemorative .50 cal bullets at campaign events.
- Donald Trump is a birther who doubts that President Obama was born in the United States; Ryan Zinke hosts Congressional receptions for birthers who have called for a coup against the President.
- Donald Trump thinks that the most significant terrorist attack in the United States happened on 7/11; Ryan Zinke forgot that we invaded Afghanistan after it happened.
Mr. Trump, when it comes to Ryan Zinke, it’s time to say “you’re hired.”